As many of you already know, Prince, who defined the sound of the ’80s with songs like “Kiss” and “Purple Rain” and defied the music industry in a fight for creative freedom, died Thursday.
The 57-year-old singer was found unresponsive in an elevator at Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen, Minnesota, Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson said.
Paramedics tried to perform CPR but were unable to revive him, the sheriff said. He was pronounced dead at 10:07 a.m., less than 30 minutes after sheriff’s deputies responded to a medical call at the scene.
Authorities are investigating the circumstances surrounding his death, Olson said. An autopsy will be performed by the Midwest regional medical examiner.
Many celebrities have expressed their feelings on social media about his passing. Here is a list of 36 reactions to the death of such an iconic musical talent:
- Mick Jagger: I am deeply shocked to hear of Prince’s passing. Prince was a revolutionary artist, a great musician, composer, a wonderful lyricist, a startling guitar player but most importantly, authentic in every way. Prince’s talent was limitless. He was one of the most unique and talented artists of the last 30 years
- Mick Fleetwood: Legends live forever. #RIPPrince Pic
- Weird Al Yankovic: Shocked and saddened to hear the news about Prince. The music world will miss his prolific genius.
- Justin Timberlake: It was Raspberry Beret. I was 4 years old. Yes, 4. I remember that I instantly loved it. “Mommy, who is that singing?” Seems weird but it’s true. More than a “once in a lifetime” artist… Just a ONCE IN FOREVER ARTIST. I’m still in shock as I write this and I feel this overwhelming grief. But, we should all turn away from that and HONOR this musician that changed all of our lives, our perspectives, our feeling, our whole being. From another planet? Probably. Royalty, for sure. Us worthy..? Laughable. They say don’t meet your idols… That they let you down. But, some of my greatest, funniest(yes, he was hilarious), and most prolific encounters and conversations about music came from the moments that I spent with him. It would be silly to say that he has inspired our music… It’s beyond that. He’s somewhere within every song I’ve ever written. I am sad, but I will smile when I think of every second that I had the fortune of being in his company. We have lost our greatest living musician. But his music will never die. Prince, NOTHING COMPARES…
- MGMT Saying “prince and Bowie influenced MGMT” is like saying “lava is warm” I don’t even know what to do, just mourn and make more music I guess
- Slash So sad to hear of Prince’s passing; one of the greatest musical talents of my lifetime. Maybe of the 20th century. RIP.
- Edgar Wright: Please don’t let it be true. I can’t imagine the world less Purple.
- Olivia Wilde: Once, Prince yelled from the stage that I could dance. He was likely yelling to the girl behind me, but it’s still my happiest moment. RIP.
- Stevie Nicks My friend is gone…This is what it sounds like, when doves cry. He was my dove…
- Nile Rodgers: #RIP our dearly beloved #Prince. Tears and love on our tour bus. @CHICorg @nilerodgers I’ll never forget my brother. We’ve had #good times. Here’s our last jam together David Bowie #LetsDancehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSUGJBcNF0E
- Paloma Faith The greatest living musician is now no longer with us& I’m distraught.It was a pleasure to share a stage with him @prince fly with the doves
- Boy George Today is the worst day ever. Prince R.I.P I am crying!
- The Weeknd I can’t believe what’s happening right now. i just woke up but it feels like I’m dreaming. we live in a world where Prince passes away???
- Lupe Fiasco If you are coming out to the Lupe concert in Minneapolis tonight…make sure you wear some purple!!! We gone put on for Prince tonight! ☔️
- Tori Amos …
- Craig Charles The mast talented creative innovative artist of his generation. A trendsetter and tastemaker.genre defying Prince. The king of musicians. When I wrote mast I meant most. Tough when you’re tweeting through tears
- Zooey Deschanel Prince was a true gentleman, a king among men. He was as sharp and as talented as they come. I’m so glad I was lucky enough to work with him
- The Mountain Goats: In my lifetime, there’s never been an artist like Prince: so fearless, so uncompromising, so devoted to his music. This loss is incaculable
- Billy Lunn: Prince was music. Prince was art. Prince was untouchable and untameable. One of the greats. Purple is Prince to me.
- Gilles Peterson: I’m not ready to do a Prince Obituary… thats too many RIPs in one year… he was out there on his own… true icon
- Whoopi Goldberg This is what it sounds like when doves cry.. Prince R.I.P. Condolences to his family & 2 us
- President Obama Not exactly a musician but is a decent enough singer Today, the world lost a creative icon. Michelle and I join millions of fans from around the world in mourning the sudden death of Prince. Few artists have influenced the sound and trajectory of popular music more distinctly, or touched quite so many people with their talent. As one of the most gifted and prolific musicians of our time, Prince did it all. Funk. R&B. Rock and roll. He was a virtuoso instrumentalist, a brilliant bandleader, and an electrifying performer. “A strong spirit transcends rules,” Prince once said — and nobody’s spirit was stronger, bolder, or more creative. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, his band, and all who loved him.
- Big Sean Rest In Paradise Prince and thank you for blessing us all with your work n presence ??
- Craig David Your music will always live on Prince. X
- Caitlin Rose: This poster was hung up in my room all through out high school. I probably took my first selfies with it. Thank you Prince for being the soundtrack to this thing called life. Shit will seriously never be the same. What a loss. RIP.
- Frank Ocean: I’M NOT EVEN GONNA SAY REST IN PEACE BECAUSE IT’S BIGGER THAN DEATH. I NEVER MET THE MAN (I WAS TOO NERVOUS THE ONE TIME I SAW HIM) AND I NEVER SAW HIM PLAY LIVE, REGRETTABLY. I ONLY KNOW THE LEGENDS I’VE HEARD FROM FOLKS AND WHAT I’VE HEARD AND SEEN FROM HIS DEEP CATALOG OF PROPELLANT, FEARLESS, VIRTUOSIC WORK. MY ASSESSMENT IS THAT HE LEARNED EARLY ON HOW LITTLE VALUE TO ASSIGN TO SOMEONE ELSE’S OPINION OF YOU.. AN INFECTIOUS SENTIMENT THAT SEEMED SOAKED INTO HIS CLOTHES, HIS HAIR, HIS WALK, HIS GUITAR AND HIS PRIMAL SCREAM. HE WROTE MY FAVORITE SONG OF ALL TIME, ‘WHEN YOU WERE MINE’. IT’S A SIMPLE SONG WITH A SIMPLE MELODY THAT MAKES YOU WISH YOU THOUGHT OF IT FIRST, EVEN THOUGH YOU NEVER WOULD HAVE – A FLIRTATIOUS BRAND OF GENIUS THAT FEELS APPROACHABLE. HE WAS A STRAIGHT BLACK MAN WHO PLAYED HIS FIRST TELEVISED SET IN BIKINI BOTTOMS AND KNEE HIGH HEELED BOOTS, EPIC. HE MADE ME FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE WITH HOW I IDENTIFY SEXUALLY SIMPLY BY HIS DISPLAY OF FREEDOM FROM AND IRREVERENCE FOR OBVIOUSLY ARCHAIC IDEAS LIKE GENDER CONFORMITY ETC. HE MOVED ME TO BE MORE DARING AND INTUITIVE WITH MY OWN WORK BY HIS DEMONSTRATION – HIS DENIAL OF THE PREVAILING MODEL…HIS FIGHT FOR HIS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY – ‘SLAVE’ WRITTEN ACROSS THE FOREHEAD, NAME CHANGED TO A SYMBOL… AN ALL OUT REBELLION AGAINST EXPLOITATION. A VANGUARD AND GENIUS BY EVERY METRIC I KNOW OF WHO AFFECTED MANY IN A WAY THAT WILL OUTRUN OBLIVION FOR A LONG WHILE. I’M PROUD TO BE A PRINCE FAN(STAN) FOR LIFE.
- Lorde: …
- Madonna: He Changed The World!! A True Visionary. What a loss. I’m Devastated.? This is Not A Love Song
- Goldfrapp: Sweetest dreams to you Prince you were my idol, my inspiration. Thank you for your genius sassy tunes xxxxxx❤️?❤️?❤️??❤️
- DJ Shadow: Genuinely shocked, saddened by the loss of talent unparalleled. Let his musical gifts heal us all today and forever. Thank you Prince
- Lenny Kravitz: My musical brother… My friend… The one who showed me the possibilities within myself, changed everything, and kept his integrity until the end, is gone. I am heartbroken.
- Celine Dion Terribly saddened by the devastating news… He truly is a legend and a hero of mine. RIP #prince
- Diane Warren: Please tell me this is not true that Prince has died. This is so fucking tragic. U wanna learn what a great song is? Go listen to every fucking song on Purple Rain. Then listen. To Nothing Compares 2 U. RIP Prince. Fuck. Doves r crying. So r we.
- Elton John – This is truly devastating news. The greatest performer I have ever seen. A true genius. Musically way ahead of any of us. Sang with him twice on stage. What an honour.
- Killer Mike Thank U Prince Rogers Nelson. This is dedicated to all the conscious/freaky/Artsy girls of the world. Many I have loved…….a lot. #UCantLikePrinceAndStingyWithYaSexBae #PrinceDidTheThreeSumBetterTellYaWives #ManThisGuyWasAPlayerGuitarAndLadies #MikeWaitingOnYaSoHeCanTalkShitToYa #RickJamesAndTinaMarieToo #VanityGettingHerManBack #WeGoneMissTheMaster ?? #MySisterSentMeThisSheKnowsImAPerve ☺️ #WellSoWasTheMasterHeauxsDONTHate lol ? #ThisMayNotEvenBePrinceButThatsCoolToo ?
- Bon Jovi I’m crushed by the news that one of the greatest inspirations in music EVER has passed. I was lucky enough to have met him many times